One of my favorite types of posts to write (and read) is end of the year posts. I really enjoy seeing my entire year in review, even though I’m pretty terrible at deciding on favorites. I have a pretty cool – I hope – post coming tomorrow, but today I decided to do this cool end of year tag. I was tagged by Sam at RiverMoose-Reads – thanks Sam! If you like book blogs, you should definitely check hers out. (If you don’t like book blogs, what are you even doing here?) I hope you enjoy this tag. And if you want to do it, consider yourself tagged!
- If you do this tag please tag me at Kate@meltingpotsandothercalamities (I’m the only writer or Kate at this blog, but that’s just my tag name).
- Please answer the questions. What’s the point of the tags if you don’t answer the questions?
- You can tag as many people as you like!
- Oh, and to clarify: the show or book or whatever do not need to have been created IN 2016, like, you can say your favorite book is The Green Mile, which is okay for this list if you read it for the first time in 2016.
What was your favorite book and movie from 2016? TV shows or webtoons/comics are also allowed, but aren’t needed.
Book: See my 2016 favorites post, because I can’t just pick one.
Movie: I don’t see a ton of movies, but I did really enjoy Moana and Fantastic Beasts.
TV Show: Like Sam, I really enjoy The Good Place. I also recently binge-watched the first seasons of The Magicians and Good Girls Rebel and am kind of obsessed with both of them.
Comic: Saga, obviously. And I Hate Fairyland.
Who is your favorite author of 2016? Screenwriters are allowed.
Overall, I have to go with V. E. Schwab. She put out two books this year, and they were both 5-star reads for me.
Who is your favorite actor and actress of 2016?
I’m gonna agree with Sam here and say Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones. I will watch anything either of them are in.
Who are your favorite characters of 2016? Limited to ten characters.
Ugh, this is so difficult. Okay:
- Sevro from Morning Star
- Lila Bard from A Gathering of Shadows
- Harry August from The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
- Jude from A Little Life
- Jane from My Lady Jane
- Kate Harker from This Savage Song
- Emmitt La Point from Thanks a Lot, John LeClair
- Nicola Tesla from The Last Days of Night
- The Darkling from Shadow and Bone
Who is your favorite fictional couple and BROTP?
Sorry, but I can’t just pick one.
Favorite couples: Lucy and Joshua from The Hating Game, Jane and Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre, Sevro and Victra from Morning Star, and Helen and Gilbert from The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.
Favorite BROTP (I’m assuming this means friendship?): I’m going with Achilles and Patroclus from The Song of Achilles (even though it’s kind of also a romance).
Who is your favorite fictional antagonist?
This is probably the last year I can say The Jackal from the Red Rising trilogy. The Darkling is also fantastic! Oooh, and Annie Wilkes from Misery, for obvious reasons.
What is the most beautiful thing you saw on TV, movies, comics, or books?
The most visually beautiful book I read this year – by far – was Habibi by Craig Thompson. As for movies, The Light Between Oceans was stunning.
Last question! What was your favorite quote of 2016?
This question froze my brain because there are just far too many good quotes. But here’s one of the many I loved this year:
“It’s like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.” – The Name of the Wind