This week’s Top Ten Tuesday is all about books I read because of recommendations. This is a difficult topic, because I’m always the one doing the recommending! That said, there are some books I’ve read because of recommendations, and you can check them all out down below. The first three are books that were personally recommended to me, and the rest were recommended in general by either BookTubers, fellow bloggers, or authors. I decided to choose books I would also recommend, and almost all of the books on this list were five-star reads.
- The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. A friend recommended this to me, and I absolutely LOVED it! It’s still one of my favorite books of the year, and it was the very first one I finished in 2016. I’ve read over 100 books since then and it’s still memorable.
- Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. I actually had this one on my shelf for a while before someone recommended it to me. After I proposed my thesis, a classmate recommended it for my thesis reading list. I was curious, so I picked it up, and within pages, was kicking myself for not picking it up sooner.
- The Sandman by Neil Gaiman. My cousin recommended this to me, and it was one of the first comic books I actually read. I already loved Neil Gaiman’s novels, so it’s no surprise I love this series, too. I think I’ve only read about one and a half, but I do own the omnibus, so I’ll get to them eventually.
- Habibi by Craig Thompson. I was a little unsure about this book – it’s gotten some mixed reviews – until I saw that Patrick Rothfuss had highly recommended it on Goodreads. I immediately picked up a copy (on Amazon, because it’s really expensive full-price), and started it as soon as it arrived at my house. It’s easily one of the most beautiful books I’ve ever read, both the story and the incredible illustrations (it’s a graphic novel), and I’m so glad I read it!
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Speaking of Patrick Rothfuss… I picked this up on recommendation from Regan at Peruse Project – one of my favorite BookTubers – and Izzi at Ravenclaw Book Club. And I can’t believe I was going to wait until next year to read it. It’s amazing. Definitely of my favorite books!
- A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. Okay, it’s not exactly a recommendation but V. E. Schwab’s Goodreads review for this book made me immediately want to read it. And I had the exact same reaction to it as she did.
- Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman. It was Caz/The Little Book Owl‘s raving about this book that convinced me to finally read this. And I wasn’t disappointed!
- Uprooted by Naomi Novik. I’d been looking for a new fantasy novel to read, but didn’t want to get into a series. And then I saw Samantha at Thoughts on Tomes gushing over this book, so I picked it up. It was amazing! I already want to reread it.
- The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. This one was actually recommended by Bill Gates, and is the only fiction book on his list of recommendations. Obviously, I had to see what it was about. It ended up being one of the cutest books I’d read in a long time, and I read it in a single sitting.
- Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples. I feel like almost all of the BookTubers I regularly watch recommended this series around the same time, and since everyone was talking about it, I picked it up to see what the fuss was all about, and am now completely addicted.
What is the best book you read because of a recommendation? Let me know in the comments!