The theme for this week’s Top Ten Tuesday is: facts about me. Since I already did a “25 Bookish Facts About Me” post, I thought I’d go in the opposite direction and make this post non-bookish facts about me. Because, let’s be honest: we all know I love books. But I’ve also been somewhat reluctant to share too many personal details about myself, so this is a good way for you to get to know me a little bit better.
- I became a vegetarian a little over four months ago after reading Jonathan Safran Foer’s Eating Animals. (Actually, does this count as a bookish fact? Oh well.) I’d been considering it for a while, but (as dumb as this sounds) I was too lazy to actually do it. But that book pushed me over the edge (seriously, don’t read it unless you’re open to becoming vegetarian or at least eating a lot less meat). Surprisingly, I feel much better and very rarely crave meat. Though if you know of a good bacon substitute, I’d be eternally grateful for that info.
- I attended an all-girls Catholic high school. And I actually liked it. It was a great environment (most of the time) and I had some amazing teachers. I was also involved in the theater program after school at our brother (all-boys) school, which was a lot of fun.
- I’m getting my MA in English and creative writing. I currently have a 3.85 GPA in grad school. I graduated cum laude with a BS in European History and minors in both English and American studies. And I failed freshman English in high school. Mostly because my elementary school sucked and I was used to getting away with not doing the work. But still. I failed freshman English. Irony. (Although, despite my grades, I don’t think I’ve finished all of the reading for a single class since. I’ve just gotten really good at bullshitting. Which, funnily enough, was something my high school freshman English teacher taught.)
- I love cold weather. If I could curl up all the time with sweaters, scarves, boots, and tea, I’d be in heaven. It’s just so cozy. Snow and rain are my favorite types of weather. I also really hate summer. Heat plus bugs: no thank you.
- My collection of books is closely rivaled by my collection of nail polish. It’s an embarrassing amount of nail polish. I used to paint my nails every day, but not so much anymore. Still, sitting down with some Netflix or a good movie and painting my nails is one of my favorite ways to relax.
- I compulsively avoid crowded places. I try to run errands during the week, and in the morning or early afternoon if I can help it. I rarely ever go to the mall. And I will go out of my way for a less popular Target, movie theater, etc. I just really hate when there are a lot of people around .
- I am slightly addicted to office supplies. I have a slightly absurd collection of notebooks, highlighters, post-its, notecards, washi tape, etc. I’m also really picky about my pens. The Pilot G-2 ultra fine (0.38) are my all-time faves. They’re really hard to find, so I hoard them.
- I have three computers: an iMac (that I mostly use for Netflix now), a 15 inch MacBook Pro that I use for most things (it has the most powerful processor/graphics card), and a 12 inch MacBook that I bought recently for writing (because the 15 inch is too heavy/big to carry everywhere and it gets really hot). Airdrop and Dropbox are my best friends. And yes, I realize this is ridiculous and mostly unnecessary, but I spend like twelve hours a day on the computer, so it’s worth it, and it’s made my life so much easier.
- I am allergic to a lot of things: dairy, nickel, Red Hots/Hot Tamales (not sure which ingredient makes my tongue swell up), bee stings, and long-haired cats (which doesn’t stop me from having cats), just to name a few. But my most severe allergy is to artificial sweeteners (aspartame, Sucralose, etc.). They cause really bad migraines, and, in college, my allergy triggered the Epstein Barr virus (aka mono). I got mono from drinking Diet Coke. (I’m kind of a magnet for bizarre things.)
- When I’m not reading, working, writing, or doing schoolwork, I also love baking and knitting. Those hobbies have been put on the back burner recently because I’ve been so busy, but I need to get back into them. I have been trying to knit while listening to audiobooks, though. I’ve knit five inches of a scarf. In the last year.
Alright, there are ten (not-so-exciting) facts about me! I hope you enjoyed this post, I promise there won’t be too many of them in the future.