We all know those books. The ones EVERYONE seems to get the second they come out. The books that fill up your Instagram/Twitter/Favebook feeds and incite squeals in bookstores and crazy preorders.
Believe me, I have been the overexcited girl snatching up copies of the newest installment in my favorite series. I’ve been to release-day book signings and midnight release parties (for Harry Potter, duh) (side note: why don’t we do those anymore?). I have participated in THE HYPE.
But there are a few books I just don’t want to read. At all. And, finally, at the age of twenty six (almost twenty-seven, ugh), peer pressure is not getting to me! To be fair, I have read other books in these series/by these authors. So I’m not dismissing them blindly. I’m just not a fan. And I won’t read them. I won’t! Don’t hate me.(I realize this is a pretty controversial post, since most of these books are very recent releases, and have been getting rave reviews.)
Okay, here are the books:
- Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare. I lost interest about twenty pages into the fifth book of The Mortal Instruments. I’ve tried to read it twice, and I just can’t. I’m with all those people who think it should have ended after three books (see what happens when you get greedy?). Also, I really (really) don’t like Cassandra Clare. I don’t think she’s a very nice person, and if I’m being honest, her writing is not the best. So I have absolutely no desire to read Lady Midnight or any of her other books. #sorrynotsorry
- Soundless and/or The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead. I have read the entire Vampire Academy series. And I liked it. But not in a “these are amazing books” kind of way. I liked them in a “ooh, I want to see what happens”/guilty-pleasure romance kind of way. I didn’t hate Mead’s writing, but I also didn’t think it was anything special (probably because grad school has ruined me and my ability to read without being ridiculously critical), and I’ve heard mixed reviews about her two newest releases. So I think I’m just going to stick with Vampire Academy (for now).
- The Rose & The Dagger by Renee Ahdieh. I wanted to love The Wrath & The Dawn so badly! But I almost DNF’d it. It was so disappointing, especially after having heard everyone else rave about it. I ended up skimming the ending (because I am a compulsive book finisher, no matter how long it takes me). And it just didn’t wow me. So I really don’t feel like reading The Rose & The Dagger.
- The Young Elites by Marie Lu. In case you don’t already know, I am not a fan of Marie Lu’s Legend series. I read the entire thing. All three books. And I did not enjoy them. (I just had to know how it ended, because I was convinced it would get better.) I didn’t like the characters or any of the relationships. So, as much as I want to like Marie Lu’s writing, I just can’t.
- Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas (and the rest of the series). I was not very impressed by Throne of Glass. I didn’t hate it, but I don’t have a great desire to continue on. So, I’ve decided to just pass on this series. Though I am considering reading A Court of Thorns and Roses. That one is a maybe.
What super-hyped book do you not want to read?