The theme for today’s Top Ten Tuesday – a weekly feature sponsored by The Broke and the Bookish – is Bookworm Delights. Basically, things that bookworms like that are not books. Here are my personal favorites:
- First on my list is something I think is probably on every single Top Ten Tuesday list this week: the smell of books. Specifically, the smell of old books. I may or may not have both a candle and a perfume that smell like old books. For me, it’s the best smell in the world, so why would I not want to smell like books?
- As an extremely introverted bookworm, I love rainy days, something we don’t see nearly enough of in Southern California. There is nothing lovelier than curling up near a window with a fuzzy blanket, a cup of tea, and a good book and listening to the rain.
- Staying up all night reading. We’ve all done it. And we’ve all regretted it the next day (I fell asleep in a swimming pool the day after going to a midnight release party for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, immediately going home and reading the whole thing). But there’s just something magical about sitting in bed, filled with adrenaline, and pouring through words on a page while the world around you is silent.
- One of my favorite things as a bookworm is meeting my favorite authors. So far, I’ve been able to meet two of my all-time favorite authors, Neil Gaiman and Pierce Brown, and I still get giddy when I think about it. It helps that they’re genuinely two of the nicest people in the universe and now I love them even more.
- I read a lot of books. But very rarely do I fall in love with them. Finding a new favorite book is one of the best parts of being a bookworm. It’s almost like reading Harry Potter for the first time. Almost.
- When I’m having a bad day/week/month, one thing that usually cheers me up is visiting a used bookstore. There’s a small chain of bookstores in LA/Orange County that sell everything for $1. Everything. Needless to say, I’m a little bit obsessed. And walking out with a two-foot-high stack of books for under $20? Yeah, that makes me smile.
- In the past couple of years, I’ve listened to quite a few audiobooks (they make my long commute bearable). One of my favorite things is when authors read their own audiobooks. I just love it! My favorites (so far) are Neil Gaiman (his voice is as magical as his writing), Alice Walker, and Caitlin Moran.
- One of my favorite parts of being a bookworm is having a book with you whenever you get bored. I always have a ton of books on my iPhone (which is always with me) and I carry a very large purse that usually contains at least one book. Usually more than one. I spend a lot of time waiting, so I love being able to use that time to read instead of doing nothing.
- For me, at least, there is a certain kind of high that comes from finishing a book in a single sitting. It immediately makes me want to keep going and read all the books. Which is why I loved doing Dewey’s readathon this past weekend, even though it was exhausting.
- Finally, one of my favorite bookish things is book inspired merchandise. I will basically buy anything that has anything to do with books. Lipstick named after Harry Potter characters, candles that smell like the Shire, socks with book titles on them, I love it all.
I hope you enjoyed this post! Let me know what your favorite bookish delight is in the comments!